Prof. Ioan Ştefan Florian MD, PhD
Prof., MD, PhD
Head of the Neurosurgical Department, University of Medicine and Pharmacy “Iuliu Hațieganu” Cluj-Napoca, Cluj County Emergency Hospital
President of the Senate, University of Medicine and Pharmacy “Iuliu Hațieganu” Cluj-Napoca
Some of the titles and memberships:
- Vice-President at large of the World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies (WFNS)
- President of the “Euroacademia Multidisciplinaria Neurotraumatologica” (EMN)
- Part of the Executive Commitee Members at the “South Eastern European Neurosurgical Society” (SeENS)
- Member of the World Academy of Neurological Surgery (WANS)
- Member of American Assoiation of Neurological Surgeons (AANS)
- Member of the European Academy of Science and Arts
- Member of the Romanian Academy of Medical Sciences
- Founding member of Romanian Neuro-Oncoly Society
- Corresponding Member of the Romanian Academy of Medical Sciences
- Past President of the Romanian Society of Neurosurgery
Professor Ioan Stefan Florian performed more than 16,000 surgeries, with no less than 750 surgeries per year in the last 5 years. His main fields of interest are neuro-oncology, having an experience of over 6000 operated tumors, as well as vascular neurosurgery, with around 1000 operated aneurysms and over 350 operated intracranial vascular malformations.
He also possesses experience in pediatric neurosurgery, regarding both congenital malformations and pediatric neuro-oncology. Among his achievements are the promotion and propagation of the “single stage, single opening” technique in the surgical treatment of multiple aneurysms in Romanian neurosurgery, as well as the introduction of the Ventriculo-Peritoneal Shunting technique in Cluj-Napoca. His personal series of operated brainstem lesions stands among the largest reported in Eastern Europe.
Professor Florian is also involved in basic and clinical research and in education, forming not only residents but also students. He is the Head of the Department of Neurosurgery at the “Iuliu Hatieganu University of Medicine and Pharmacy”, president of the Senate of the University and also the mentor of the Students’ Scientific Circle of Neurology and Neurosurgery. His dedication to education and perseverance in perfecting the surgical arts helped make the Cluj-Napoca Department of Neurosurgery and its residents renowned across the World.