Professor Ihsan Solaroglu MD, PhD
Prof., MD, PhD
Professor of Neurosurgery, Associate in Management of Health Institutions
Director, KU Graduate School of Health Sciences, Associate Dean for Research, Koç University, School of Medicine, Dept of Neurosurgery
Some of the titles and memberships:
- Scientific Chairman of 2017 WFNS World Congress
- Vice President of the Turkish Neurosurgical Society
- Secretary of the Turkish Neurosurgical Society (TNS)
- Member of the World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies (WFNS) Cerebrovascular Diseases & Therapy Comittee
- Founder and Former President of International Basic Neurosurgery Courses (IBNC)
- President of SeENs Neurosurgery Courses
- European Associations of Neurosurgical Societies (EANS)
- International Brain Research Organization (IBRO)
- Federation of European Neurosciences (FENS)
- Neuroscience Society of Turkey (NST)
- Turkish Neurosurgical Society (TNS)
- Middle East Spine Society (MESpine)
- Asian Congress of Neurological Surgeons (ACNS)
- Turkish Spine Society (TOD)
- Visiting Professor, University of Texas Health Sciences Center, Dept. of Neurosurgery, San Antonio, US, 2012.
- Visiting Professor, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Dept. of Neurosurgery, Louisiana, US, 2012.
Prof. Solaroglu is currently working as a Neurosurgeon and academic staff at the Koç University, Department of Neurosurgery (Istanbul, Turkey). His secondary appointment is Adjunct Professor of Basic Science Research at Loma Linda University School of Medicine, California, US.
Dr. Solaroğlu is the Vice Dean for Research at Koç University School of Medicine and the Director of Research Center for Translational Medicine (KUTTAM).
With a clinical interest in neurovascular surgery and neuro-oncology, Dr. Solaroğlu’s research focuses on hematopoietic growth factors in neuroprotection following experimental stroke, spinal cord injury, and traumatic brain injury.
His research has been published in high-level academic journals including Stroke, Scientific Reports, Oncotarget and Neuroscience. He has authored or co-authored well over 70 papers and has 50 presentations and more than 1200 citations (h-index: 19).
He serves as a member on advisory boards and reviewer of several scientific journals including Stroke, Experimental Neurology, Neurological Research, Acta Neurochirurgica, and Spine.
He has received numerous awards including the Professor Raja Award for Young Neurosurgeon 2007, and the AACNS Young Neurosurgeon Award 2007.
Dr. Solaroğlu is the founder and former president of International Basic Neurosurgery Courses, the president of SeENS Neurosurgery Courses, and a member of the World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies’ Neuro-Oncology Committee and Neurovascular Disorders Committee. Dr. Solaroğlu also served as the scientific chairman of the 2017 WFNS World Congress.